In this Analyst Insight, Todd Maddox, Ph.D. provides guidance on why Augmented and Virtual Reality are set to disrupt corporate learning. This report focuses on a learning science evaluation of the potential for extended reality (xR) technologies to disrupt corporate L&D and show how xR technologies have the potential to improve the quality and quantity of training, to accelerate learning and enhance retention in all aspects of corporate learning to provide the following benefits:
- Lead to faster learning and stronger retention all while reducing training time.
- Train a broad-range of core competencies (e.g., hard skills, soft skills and situational awareness) in a time-effective, cost-effective and scalable manner.
- Train on expensive, dangerous and rare situations in total safety and to expertise.
- Provide a window onto the learning process through subjective, objective, attention, and engagement metrics that fully take advantage of all the data that can be measured.
- Develop more effective, efficient, and valuable learning environments.